Hitachi Aloka: The Innovator in Ultrasound Skip to content

About Us: Overview

Company Overview and History

Hitachi Aloka, the innovator in ultrasound is the longest operating ultrasound company in the world with its international headquarters located in Tokyo, Japan and U.S. headquarters in Wallingford, CT.

The history of Hitachi Aloka began in 1950 when the medical equipment department of Japan Radio Company became the independent company, Medical and Physical Institute Co., Ltd.

In 1960, we developed the world's first commercially available diagnostic ultrasound system.

In 1976, our company name changed to Hitachi Aloka, which, in ancient Sanskrit, means “Ray of Hope.”

Hitachi Aloka's ultrasound systems have been sold in the United States through distributors since the early 70s. Some of our major distributors included Johnson & Johnson Ultrasound and Corometrics Medical Systems, Inc., which also provided service for the Hitachi Aloka equipment.

In 1986, the first Hitachi Aloka office was opened in the United States.

And on January 1, 1991, Hitachi Aloka America began direct sales of ultrasound units.

All US sales, distribution and service are provided through our US headquarters. In addition, we have sales, service and clinical applications representatives strategically located throughout the country to provide exceptional service to our customers.